Sthala Purana and History of Meenakshi Amman Temple
Sthala Purana And History of Meenakshi Amman Temple Check More Information About Meenakshi Amman Temple and Epic Story of Meenakshi Amman Temple
- sthala Purana And History of Meenakshi Amman Temple Speaking about the Sthala Purana and the History behind the construction of such a magnificent temple, we can go through many stories that are involved.
- The temple of Meenakshi Amma was alleged to be found by Indra who is the King of ‘Deva’ celestial deities. The Swayambu Lingam i.e., the self formed lingam which is a replica of Shiva allotted for worship at the shrine, was felt by him on his way to pilgrimage towards atone for his misdeeds and experienced as of lifting his burden. Later, he then built a temple to enshrine the lingam.
- Indra the worshiper of Lord Shiva created golden lotuses, which appeared in the pool nearby.
- The temple of Meenakshi Amman was previously meant to be the deity of Aalavai Iraivan according to the Saint of Hindu namely Thirugnanasambandar, of Saivan Philosophy in the 7th Century. This is spoken for about two millennia in Tamil Literature
- There was another saying that the ancient temple’s precious elements were destroyed and sacked by ‘Malik Kafur’ who was a Muslim trespasser. Later, the Nayak King of Madurai initially took up the reconstruction of the temple. Vishwanatha Nayak (1559-1600) was the king and was under the administration of Ariyanatha Mudaliar along with Prime Minister of Nayak Dynasty plus the founder of Poligar System.
- Sthala Purana And History of Meenakshi Amman Temple In 1560 Vishwanatha Nayak designed the structure of temple and was then expanded to the current structure in the time in power of Thirumalai Nayak (1623-55). Special interest was taken on the construction mainly for the Vasantha Mandapam which is used for celebration of Spring Festival i.e., Vasanthorsavam and Corridor of Parrots i.e., Kilikoondu Mandapam.
- ‘Rani Mangammal’ built the corridor of temple tank plus the Meenatchi Nayakar Mandapam.
Meenatchi Nayakar Mandapam
- ‘Rous Peter; in between 1786-1828 treated all faiths with equality and donated a set of stirrups which were studded with red stones and diamonds. He wished his body after death was to be buried in such a position that his eyes faced the temple, and was a trusted that Goddess was to have saved her devotee Rouse Peter from a fatal incident.
- The temple had contribution of all individuals, as King of Pandian taxed the people for constructing the temple. people donated their gold and silver along with paying taxes. But, according to the King he wanted a contribution that was less than a bag of rice to feed the masans who were constructing the temple. Now, people of that time feel so proud and have a emotional attachment in the construction of the temple.
Also Read Structuring And Architecture Meenakshi Amman Temple
Visiting Places Near Meenakhi Amman Temple
How To Reach Meenakshi Amman Temple